Chinese New Year (CNY) is around the corner. And what is CNY without Bak Kwa! Bak Kwa also known as rougan (肉干), is a savoury meat snack, made of thin slices of marinated meat, dehydrated, smoked and flame grilled. Bak kwa and rougan, means “dried meat” in Hokkien and Mandarin respectively, also refer to barbecued pork or pork jerky. Originating from Southern China, Bak Kwa has become a favorite local snack in Singapore, with its popularity peaking during Chinese New Year, as evidenced by the long queues at the branches of famous Bak Kwa chains during the festive period.
The major players in the Singapore Bak Kwa business include: Kim Hock Guan 金福源, Bee Cheng Hiang 美珍香, Lim Chee Guan 林志源, Fragrance 香味, and Kim Joo Guan 金裕源. The business is so competitive that these companies guard their marinade recipe and preparation zealously. In the recent years, there are many new innovative marinating flavors such as: Sesame, Pineapple, Kimchi, Garlic, etc…
In this article below, we have put together 7 types of Bak Kwa to look out for this Chinese New Year. The list below highlights the latest Bak Kwa innovations of exotic flavors apart from the typical traditional types of Bak Kwa (pork/chicken). Check out our list after the jump.
Types Of Bak Kwa In Singapore
#1 – Crocodile Meat Bak Kwa
Crocodile meat is a low-fat, low cholesterol and contains high protein meat. BBQ crocodile meat is not only delicious, there is also a long list of health benefits from eating crocodile meat, such as:
- Cure Skin Problem – It is the main benefits that you may get if you consume crocodile meat. People in Asian countries believed that by eating crocodile meat, it can cure eczema, itchy skin and other skin disease including skin allergy.
- Prevent Heart Disease – The protein and amino acid which contained in crocodile meat can prevent from heart problem. Crocodile meat also contain potassium which is also play important role in keeping the heart function.
- Prevent Asthma & Improve lung function – Most of reptile meat including crocodile is believed can cure asthma. It is also believed that consuming crocodile meat will keep you away from respiratory problem and it help to improve lung function in binding oxygen and other.
- Prevent wrinkle skin – Ladies will love this. Due to its high protein level, crocodile meat is believed can delay the onset of aging and prevent from wrinkle skin. It has been practiced by Chinese that people who used to consume crocodile meat has better skin condition during old age.
#2 – Fish Bak Kwa
Something that we only knew after our research, the world’s first gourmet fish Bak Kwa, was created by a local, Ong Eng Guan, from OCEAN KING in 1998. #ProudToBeSingaporean. Needless to say, the health benefits for fish (Marlin, Tuna, Salmon) are plenty with high level of healthy Omega 3 fatty acids in its meat, which helps in the risk reduction of cancer and cardiovascular diseases, improvement of eyesight, etc. Better yet, the Fish Bak Kwa is halal-certified.
Flavors available at OCEAN KING include:
- BBQ Seared Marlin – Slices of Blue Marlin are barbequed over hot coal until the succulent meat browns and caramelises.
- Chili Tropic Tuna – Using a unique blend of chili and pepper, intense flavors are imparted to slivers of Bigeye Tuna, creating a truly aromatic indulgence.
- Emperor Salmon – Infused choice cuts of Kings Salmons with their special teriyaki sauce, topped with a generous sprinkling of roasted seaweed
#3 – Lobster Meat Bak Kwa
Lobster meat offers an innovative approach to the traditional Bak Kwa, preparing an exquisite fine-dining type of meat into the all-time favorite Chinese snack. Besides the lobster meat being so yummy, it turns out that eating this crustacean is good to include in your healthy diet too!
Where to buy: Hu Zhen Long 胡振隆
#4 – Duck Bak Kwa
Instead of using minced meat, this duck Bak Kwa is made from the fleshiest part of the duck – the duck breast and it is hand-sliced to be made into such a premium product. For those who avoids duck meat due to its sandy taste, will find themselves loving duck meat again with this Bak Kwa, as natural herbs are added into the recipe to let your taste buds enjoy the sweetness of the duck meat Bak Kwa without any worries.
Where to buy: Xi Shi Bak Kwa 西施肉干
#5 –Turkey Bak Kwa
BBQ turkey has always been indispensable on a Christmas dinner table. And thus for this Christmas season we have launched BBQ turkey Bak Kwa! Irresistibly delicious, BBQ turkey Bak Kwa is the new alternative to celebrate Christmas this year!
#6 – Beef Bak Kwa
Bak Kwa made from beef has been around for some time now, but it is only recently that we spotted a company that used 100% pure Angus beef to make their Bak Kwa.
And better yet, it comes in two different flavors by Little Red Dot:
- Lemongrass Beef Bak Kwa – oven roasted and seasoned with garlic, lime juice, citrusy lemongrass and anchovy flavoured fish sauce.
- Spicy Chipotle Beef Bak Kwa – oven roasted and seasoned with smoky chipotle chili, brown sugar and anchovy flavoured fish sauce.
Where to Buy: Little Red Dot Kitchen
#7 – Prawn Bak Kwa
Even though prawns sometimes get a bad reputation because of cholesterol, nutritionists have found them to have some nutritional value. Prawns have other value besides nutrition but mostly contain a host of nutrients the body needs such as iron, vitamin E and zinc. That said, Bak Kwa made from prawn meat is simply a mouth-watering delight.
Where to Buy: Lim Chee Guan 林志源
Do you know of any other innovative Bak Kwa creations that we should look out for? Share with us in the comment box below.